Steps to Removing Mold
- Open windows to allow air circulation
- put up plastic sheeting in doorways
- Pull baseboard trim up
- Spray a light coat of water over mold to help weigh it down
- Mix your chosen non-ammonia removal solution and spray or brush it over the infected areas
- Scrub until you are sure the mold is gone, avoid rinsing because it will over-saturate the subfloor
- crank up the heat and run a dehumidifier to help the subfloor dry quickly with no chance for mold to regrow
Preventing Future Mold Problems
To prevent future mold from growing, make sure you fix the leak and check any other areas you believe could be affected by water and mold-proof it. make sure you home's humidity is under 40% at all times and insulate rooms. Routinely spot clean areas of high moisture and immediately disinfect ( with a 10% bleach solution) and dry areas you suspect might be conditions advantageous to mold.
For full information on dealing with mold refer to FEMA guidelines.
FloorQuest has been providing outstanding customer service and flooring products for over 10 years. If you are interested in installing new flooring in your home, contact us today, or visit one of our four Wisconsin locations.